Absinthe Misconceptions & Myths Debunked
Q: What is absinthe?
A: To put it concisely: Absinthe is an anise and wormwood flavored distilled spirit, made from aniseed, fennel andwormwood. Absinthe takes its name from the main adjunct flavoring aside from anise, Artemisia absinthium. The common French name for this species is “grande absinthe”.
Although it is often referred to as a “liqueur”, this isn’t really accurate today, since according to the modern definition of liqueurs they are pre-sweetened; absinthe is not. Technically, absinthe is an aperitif spirit, a before-meal tipple. Pre-sweetened absinthe was known as crème d’absinthe and was of considerably lower proof.
Although wormwood-infused drinks have been used as medicine and beverages for thousands of years, when we speak of “absinthe” we are evoking this very specific distilled spirit that rose to popularity in France and Switzerland beginning in the 18th century.
There are many traditional drinks from around the world that contain Artemisia absinthium wormwood—vermouth, Scandinavian besk, Polish piolunowka, some aquavits, etc.—and yet they are not absinthe. It takes more than simply including wormwood as an ingredient to be able to be justifiably categorize a spirit as absinthe. Authentic, pre-ban style absinthe will have these characteristics:• Contains Artemisia absinthium wormwood as a primary ingredient.
• Has a main characteristic flavor of aniseed and absinthium wormwood.
• Does not contain sugar or other sweeteners. (it will not bear the term “liqueur” on the label)
• May have a mildly, but not exceptionally bitter taste.
• Colored by infusion of natural herbs, although there are also clear, uncolored types. Does not contain artificial or FD&C colors.
Other traditional absinthe ingredients include petite wormwood (Artemisia pontica), melissa (Melissa officinalis) and hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis).
Absinthe is very high in alcohol content, usually in the 55% to 72% range (110 to 144 proof); for comparison, whisky is generally around 40%, or 80 proof. Absinthe, a high-proof concentrate, is intended to be served diluted with iced water at a ratio of approximately three to five parts water to one part absinthe. Alternatively it is used in small proportions as a cocktail ingredient, much like bitters.
Source: The Wormwood Society
- crossyourstitches likes this
- lifeofthesun likes this
- petunia-pichon reblogged this from g33kgasm
- petunia-pichon likes this
- bloodandthunderp likes this
- g33kgasm reblogged this from stormbloodcuriosities
- g33kgasm likes this
- pardonmydandyism reblogged this from fee-verte
- lainhidden likes this
- dancingbymoonlight reblogged this from fee-verte
- nakedspacemonkey likes this
- incascades likes this
- fee-verte reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- scientist-minyoung reblogged this from synthetikweekend
- minxie413 reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- chattres-triste reblogged this from bloodyenochian
- dialethia reblogged this from niczka
- leefygreen likes this
- ghostine likes this
- misadventuresofdeathgirl likes this
- rolled-stockings reblogged this from nicereminders
- kyriea reblogged this from niczka
- niczka reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- ergo0d reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- thedolldiaries reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- kaseykasket reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- rolled-stockings likes this
- nicereminders reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- kissesfromtheabyss likes this
- b0ob0okittyfukx33 reblogged this from wiisport
- wiisport reblogged this from sithmuffin
- sithmuffin reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- why-she-sleeps likes this
- hawkstars reblogged this from missnevermore and added:
- vesperbat reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- bluewolfwitch reblogged this from synthetikweekend
- letsdothegravedance reblogged this from fiend-ish
- letsdothegravedance likes this
- myfragility reblogged this from littlesleepyme and added:
- fiend-ish reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- littlesleepyme reblogged this from stormbloodcuriosities
- stormbloodcuriosities reblogged this from vampishly
- ozchive likes this
- absinthe-cocktail reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- singofsilence reblogged this from gothiccharmschool
- pixelatedtoys likes this
- larochellechan likes this
- hydeandfreak likes this
- timemeantnothing likes this
- averygoreyday reblogged this from mosellegreen